What a Week

So this week was a shitty one, I must say, with a couple of exceptions. On Sunday I spoke to my grandpa (who has always been more like my dad) to wish him a happy Easter and all. During this conversation I learned that he has no idea what month it is when he told me that his birthday was on Friday, but it’s actually a couple of months away. He was diagnosed with Dementia a few years back, but it’s been getting a lot worse lately, he’s having more “bad days” and they’re worse and more often than ever before. I’m beginning to wonder if he’ll live long enough to see me graduate in December. Then, I got a phone call around ten o’clock Monday night from my aunt Maria telling me that my mother had to go to the hospital in an ambulance because she was having chest pains. She ended up spending the night in the hospital and having a procedure done on Tuesday so the doctors could have a look at her heart. My grandma called me that afternoon informing me that my mom has a 40% blockage in one of the chambers of her heart and she has coronary heart disease. If it doesn’t improve, she’ll have to have surgery on her heart. Those two alone were enough to ruin my week, but it doesn’t stop there. I left work early on Monday so I could try to perfect this paper I had to turn in that day at 5pm. I worked on it a little and took it to the writing center and submitted it to Georgia view at exactly 5pm. On Thursday I saw an e-mail from my professor telling me she didn’t get the paper. Also Thursday morning, I noticed a strange smell in my apartment as soon as I woke up. I thought I did something silly like programmed the coffee maker without putting the pot in place to catch the coffee, but it turned out to be my refrigerator. It was on the verge of burning the whole place down due to some wiring or something. As a result, I had to miss class for the first time all semester to wait on the maintenance man to come fix the damn thing. I was really bummed because I didn’t want to end my perfect attendance streak, but I didn’t have much of a choice. I’m just glad to be alive quite frankly. Plus, my mom’s uncle had a heart attack and went into cardiac arrest twice. He had chest pains and so his wife took him to the emergency room, and he had the heart attack right there. If it had been any sooner he’d probably be dead.

On the other hand, I finally made a trip to Atlanta to visit my mom and my grandpa, and I’ve had to delay this trip a couple of times due to homework and other things going on in my life. Also, I got promoted to Student Coordinator at the GSU Starbucks on Wednesday so I’m really excited about that (even though the pay raise won’t take effect until August!). And, everything turned out okay with that essay I mentioned earlier, thank God. Also, I went over to the Twins house and had dinner with them on Thursday with my husband and we had a wonderful time. We laughed a lot, and I certainly needed that after such a rough week.

I just can’t believe what a difficult week I have had. It seemed like the blows just kept on coming, and I didn’t know how to deal with it all. I’m not prepared to have so much bad stuff happen in such a short period of time, and I certainly hope that nothing like this ever happens again, but I know better than to believe that it won’t.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: